Cowboy boots have long been a beloved symbol of rugged style and timeless American heritage. Whether you wear them for their iconic look or rely on them for practicality, taking proper care of your cowboy boots is essential to ensure their longevity and maintain their classic appeal. From cleaning and conditioning to storing and repairing, this article will guide you through the essential steps to keep your cowboy boots in tip-top shape, so they can continue to accompany you on your adventures for years to come.
How to Care for Your Leather Soles:
- Use our Sole Guard to protect the sole and increase its durability. Apply once a month and after wearing it in the rain.
- If your boots get wet, let them dry before wearing them again to prevent damage to the leather sole.
- If you start to wear through the leather soles you can ask your cobbler to put rubber ones.
Remember, caring for your boots will help them last for years and become more comfortable.
In our shop, we have 3 general types of leather:
Waxed leather is the more rugged type of leather. It's leather in a more natural form so the fibres of the leather can be felt to the touch. If the leather feels waxy, has no shine and looks like the picture below then you should follow the care guide for waxed leather.
Suede leather looks like fabric. The fibres can be brushed and are very soft to the touch. They are also easier to break in than waxed leather. If you're boots look like the ones in the photo below then you have suede boots. Follow the guide on this page for suede boots.
Shiny leather is very easy to spot. They are processed differently to other types of leather which gives them a smooth finish and shine. If they look similar to the ones in the photo then they're shiny leather. Follow the care guide for shiny leather below on this page.
How to Care for Waxed Leather Boots
Crazy/Nubuk leather has a rugged, worn look and is treated with oils to protect it. To maintain its appearance, use the following steps:
- Use a Nubuk Box and Combi Brush to remove dirt and restore the leather's matte look.
- Apply Rustical Lotion (which is neutral e.g.: you can use any colour of leather) to nourish and even out the leather. Let dry and repeat as necessary. You can also use a coloured product if you wish to restore the colour of your boots.
Scuffs on nubuk can be easily removed with the Combi Brush and Rustical Cream. Because Nubuk leather is brushed leather so once you brush the fibres it all goes back into place, removing the scuffs.
How to care for Snakeskin Boots:
- Clean and condition the scales with Collonil 1909 Leather Cream (which is neutral e.g: you can use in any colour of leather).
- Apply Collonil Exotic Spray to waterproof and prevent dirt buildup.
How to care for Shiny Leather:
- Use a soft-bristled brush or a clean damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust from the boots. Be gentle to avoid damaging the leather.
- Apply Collonil 1909 Leather Cream (which is neutral e.g: you can use in any colour of leather) in a circular motion using a soft cloth or brush. Allow the polish to dry for a few minutes, and then buff the boots with a clean cloth to bring out the shine. You can repeat this process a few times to achieve a higher shine.
- Apply a water-repellent spray to protect the boots from water damage and other elements. Follow the instructions on the product carefully.
- Store your shiny leather cowboy boots in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to prevent them from cracking or fading.
- Avoid wearing your shiny leather cowboy boots in harsh weather conditions or for prolonged periods of time. This will help to prevent excessive wear and tear and keep them looking shiny for longer.
How to care for Suede Leather:
- Use our Crepe Brush to remove stains, marks and dirt in conjunction with the leather shampoo Clean and Care.
- Alternatively, you can also use our Nubuk Box which does the same as Crepe Brush. For deeper stains always use in conjunction with Clean and Care.
- To revive colour and protect it from fading over time use our Suede Spray which waterproofs and protects from UV rays which will prevent the Suede's colour from fading.
- Alternatively, we also have a Suede cream which does the same as the Suede Spray but has a sponge applicator and is a cream instead of a spray.
- Do this process once you notice the Suede looking faded and tired. This can be once a month or more depending on how frequently you wear them.
In conclusion, proper care and maintenance are essential to ensure the longevity and pristine appearance of your beloved leather cowboy boots. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can keep your boots looking their best and ready to take on any adventure that comes your way. Remember to clean, condition, and protect your boots regularly, while also storing them in a cool, dry place when not in use. By treating your boots with care and respect, you'll not only preserve their quality but also cultivate a unique bond with a timeless piece of footwear that will continue to accompany you on countless journeys into the wild frontier. So embrace the spirit of the cowboy, and let your leather boots tell the story of your rugged and adventurous spirit for years to come. Yeehaw!